Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Coffee and dessert

Every day is a blur of new experiences, words remembered, exchanges fumbled or finessed.

A troubled sleep last night in my lumpy bed wondering whether the apartment I saw was "the one"; whether to jump or hold back, whether I'd live with regret or happily ever after.

Nevertheless I went out to face the day, walking on Jaffo in search of a place for coffee with wifi. Having found it, I ordered my Cafe Americano gadol (large black coffee) and read my news feed. As I walked home, I decided to solve the coffee dilemma in my temporary digs. Every home I've seen here has an electric hot pot to boil water for coffee.  Every home but this one, which lacks even teapot or microwave to boil water. So I stopped into an electronics store to price hotpots - 80 NIS ($20) and up, I was told. Then I stopped into the discount store, Max and found this one for 40 NIS.
Tomorrow morning, I make coffee. This afternoon I'll see a couple more apartments with the agent. Yesterday's German Colony renovation will be hard to beat, but I am trying to be smart. At the same time, these chilly cramped digs have me itching for a real home. Here's a snapshot of this building. I'm on the top floor, upper right with the Israeli flags.

See you later. .להתראות (lehitra'ot - leh-hit-rah-'OHT) 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is now later and again, the day was so full I am back with a postscript; in this case, dessert.  After seeing two more apartments with my realtor, I returned to the one I saw yesterday and decided that it was, in fact, "the one." We drove to the hair studio of the owner, Ayal, and talked terms, Ayal in Hebrew with my realtor translating. So the charming spot on Hatsiferet Street is mine. I live in the German Colony. 
After that happy conclusion, I met a friend I made last summer in ulpan who save me Chanukah sufganiyot and then we went Israeli dancing. 
A dream apartment, sufganiyot and dancing.  That's dessert. 

במושבה הגרמני

No comments:

Post a Comment