Friday, February 19, 2016

Erev Shabbat

I raged. I wept. I prayed. I asked God, "Why?"
Then I mopped.

Yesterday, 21 year-old Tuvia Weissman was stabbed to death buying dessert at his neighborhood grocery. Shopping with his wife and baby, he and another shopper were attacked because they were Jews by teenage Palestinian terrorists.

How am I supposed to react? What am I to do with my rage and sorrow?
So after praying, I mopped. Shabbat is coming, and regardless of what happened yesterday, must be observed.

When I went out on my Shabbat errands, I saw a city full of people doing the same: picking up challah and flowers, greeting friends at the shuk, enjoying a half day of blissful sunshine. The coffee shops were and markets were full, the playgrounds filled with children and families. The joyous hustle and bustle that proceeds Shabbat in the city of David stops for no one.

Until 2:00pm when the shops close and families go home to prepare.  Now it's quiet and I, too, have come home - הביתה;-to write, to muse, to prepare for the Shabbat Shalom we wish for Israel and the world.






No comments:

Post a Comment